Department of Computer Science
Purdue University Fort Wayne
What is New
- [Nov. 2019] Our paper "An Efficient Spectral Selection of M Giants Using XGBoost" with Dr. Zhenping Yi et al. has been accepted for publication in The Astrophysical Journal (2018 Impact Factor: 5.580)! Dr. Yi was a visiting scholar to Purdue Fort Wayne between Sept. 2018 and Sept. 2019.
- [Nov. 2019] Our abstract with Dr. Dong Chen and Jimmy Nguyen has been accepted by 2020 World Environmental & Water Resources Congress!
- [Aug. 2019] Our paper "Discrete-Time vs. Continuous-Time Epidemic Models in Networks" was accepted to IEEE Access (2018 Impact Factor: 4.098).
- [April 2019] I was awarded the ETCS Excellence in Teaching for 2018-2019!
- [April 2019] I was awarded the Purdue Fort Wayne Chapter Sigma Xi Science Teacher of the Year for 2019!
- [April 2019] Congratulations to Jimmy for his Undergraduate Summer Research Support application has been selected for funding!
- [April 2019] Our paper "Characterizing Spatial Dependence on Epidemic Thresholds in Networks" was accepted to International Journal of Security and Networks (IJSN).
- [April 2019] Our proposal with Dr. Dong Chen, "Designing and Implementing a Real-Time Water Body Monitoring System Using Machine Learning", has been awarded by Purdue University Fort Wayne IRSC Collaborative Research Grants.
- [March 2019] Our project "Integration System for Amazon Customers" will be supported by Purdue University Technical Assistance Program.
- [March 2019] Our paper "Implementing a Test Bed for Space Exploration Using Internet of Things" has been published by Investigations: The Journal of Student Research @ Purdue Fort Wayne. Great job, Urvi!
- [Nov. 2018] My students and I completed a project sponsored by IN-MaC for Redesigned Retail. Nice job, Joel, Aneesh, Urvi, Mattew, and Asfand!
- [Aug. 2018]Dr. Guoping Wang and I completed a project sponsored by IN-MaC for Fort Wayne Metals. Here is the Success Story.
- [July 2018] Our paper "Self-Stopping Strategies for Tractable Information Dissemination in Dense Mobile Sensor Networks" has been accpeted for publication in the International Journal of Sensor Networks.
- [June 2018] Our paper on smart home has been published by Investigations: The Journal of Student Research @ IPFW.
- [June 2018] Begin serving as an Editorial Board Member for International Journal of Security and Networks (IJSN) and International Journal of Sensor Networks (IJSNet).
- [May 2018] Our proposal with Prof. Dong Chen, "AI for Earth/Esri: A Real-Time Water Body Monitoring System", has been selected for an AI for Earth Microsoft Azure Grant.
- [April 2018] One of my senior design teams won the CS Senior Design Project Competition! Congratulations, Aaron, Eric, and Cameron!
- [April 2018] I was awarded an IRSC Faculty Course Release Grant!
- [April 2018] I was awarded the ETCS Excellence in Research for 2017-2018!
- [April 2018] I was awarded the IPFW Chapter Sigma Xi Researcher of the Year for 2018! Here is my presentation for the award.
- [March 2018] Our poster "Building an Affordable Smart Home Based on the Internet of Things" won the second place in IPFW 21st Annual Student Research and Creative Endeavor Symposium. Congratulations, Urvi, Aaron, Eric, and Cameron!
- [Jan. 2018] Our paper "Epidemic Thresholds in Networks: Impact of Heterogeneous Infection Rates and Recovery Rates" has been accepted to IEEE ICC 2018 SAC Symposium Social Networking Track.
- [May 2017] My proposal "Internet of Things in Space" has been selected for funding by Indiana Space Grant Consortium.
- [Apr. 2017] Receiving the IPFW IRSC Faculty Conference Travel Grant for traveling to Atlanta to present our paper at HotPOST 2017.
- [Mar. 2017] Our paper "Modeling the Spread of Influence for Independent Cascade Diffusion Process in Social Networks" was accepted to HotPOST 2017, in conjunction with IEEE ICDCS 2017.
- [Mar. 2017] My draft submitted to the 2017 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, "Applying Scrum to Manage a Senior Capstone Project", has been approved.
- [Mar. 2017] Our collaborative proposal with Prof. Guoping Wang, "Designing and Implementing a Smart Home Based on Internet of Things," has been funded by IPFW IRSC Collaborative Research Grants.
- [Jan. 2017] Abdullah Eroglu, Guoping Wang, Chao Chen from ECE and I were awarded a grant with Harris for their Digital Signal Processing Initiative project.
- [Dec. 2016] I am becoming an IEEE Senior member!
- [Nov. 2016] Our senior design team is approved to receive IEEE Standards Education Grant for the project "Redundant Failover Seamless-IP-Stack (RFSIS)."
- [Aug. 2016] Our paper "Self-Stopping Epidemic Routing in Cooperative Wireless Mobile Sensor Networks" was accepted to the Ninth IEEE International Workshop on Selected Topics in Wireless and Mobile computing (STWiMob 2016).
- [June 2016] Our paper "Toward Understanding Spatial Dependence on Epidemic Thresholds in Networks" was accepted to the Workshop on Social Influence 2016.
- [June 2016] Our senior design team was recognized at the Allen County Public Library Audio Reading Service Volunteer Recognition Celebration Luncheon on June 9, 2016.
- [May 2016] Congratulations to Kurtis for his Undergraduate Summer Research Support application has been selected for funding!
- [Apr. 2016] Proposal for participation in the May 19-20 retreat entitled "Course Design with Student Engagement in Mind" has been accepted by CELT.
- [Dec. 2015] The research project "Information Dissemination in Online Social Networks" is selected for 2016 Summer Faculty Grant from the Purdue Research Foundation (PRF).
- [Dec. 2015] Our senior design team is approved to receive IEEE Standards Education Grant for the project "Audio Reading Service Listener Web and Mobile Interface."
- [Aug. 2015] Our paper "Characterising Heterogeneity in Vulnerable Hosts on Worm Propagation" was accepted to International Journal of Security and Networks (IJSN).
Dr. Chen received his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology in 2005 and 2007. He also holds B.E. and M.E. degrees from the Department of Electronic Engineering at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China in 1998 and 2001, respectively. He worked as an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Florida International University from 2007 to 2009. He moved to Fort Wayne in 2009 and worked as a limited term lecturer in the Department of Engineering and in the Department of Computer Science from 2009 to 2015 at Indiana University - Purdue University Fort Wayne. He also worked as a software engineer at TransWorks from 2012 to 2015.
- Information dissemination in social networks and in mobile sensor networks
- Internet of things
- Cognitive radio networks
- Network security, especially modeling and defending against Internet worm and botnet attacks
- Performance evaluation of communication networks